|First appearance||Brightest Day #4|
|Key Stories||Brightest Day #10|
|Full name||Jackson Hyde|
Jackson Hyde is taking over the mantle of Aqualad after the events in Brightest Day #10.
Geoff Johns, from DC Comics The Source Blog (Tuesday, June 15th, 2010), on the new Aqualad:
- At the same time, as previously announced, the YOUNG JUSTICE cartoon series is just around the corner featuring Robin, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian, Artemis and the all-new Aqualad who will be appearing very briefly in BRIGHTEST DAY #4, but really comes into his own in BRIGHTEST DAY #10 before hitting the small screen this fall.
- When we first meet Aqualad in BRIGHTEST DAY he's Jackson Hyde. An average student, with an on-and-off girlfriend, that's pretty bored in New Mexico.
- Since he was young, he's been taught by his parents to fear water... they don't want him near it because his true parents would be able to locate him. Not to mention certain changes happen to Jackson when he gets in the water.
- Jackson has kept this secret hidden for years, lying to his girlfriend about being afraid of drowning, being unable to swim and being in the dark about the mysterious tattoos he's had since birth. He's done his best to avoid it. But soon something's going to force him out into the open and dive into the water.
- Obviously, this all ties into the larger Aquaman and Mera story within BRIGHTEST DAY, but Jackson's adventures will also be seen in the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series this fall along with more DC characters than you could imagine.
- I really believe in the story behind Jackson and, like Blue Beetle, I hope you give him a chance to grab your heart and imagination as he arrives on the scene in comics and cartoons.